Kale has had its time in the nutrition spotlight due to its powerful nutrient punch! Given kale is a hardy, cruciferous green, massaging it can be a great way to help break it down, making it the perfect side dish or base for your next salad.
Massaged Kale Salad
A delicious and light way to enjoy raw kale that can be jazzed up many ways!
- 1 bunch of kale; approximately 4-6 cups chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- fresh lemon juice from 1/2 lemon OR 1 1/2 tablespoons vinegar (red wine, white wine, or rice vinegar)
- salt and pepper; to taste
- Mix kale, olive oil, and lemon juice (or vinegar) in a bowl.
- Get your hands dirty and literally massage the kale. Do so until kale turns a more vibrant green.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
Note: You can have fun with this salad by adding in other ingredients to jazz it up however you like! Check out the additional combinations below:
- red pepper flakes and parmesan cheese
- a few drops of sesame oil, 1 teaspoon soy sauce, and sesame seeds
- fresh chopped garlic
- sauteed onions and a splash of aged balsamic vinegar
REMEMBER: Recipes are GUIDELINES! So feel free to modify, taste as you go, and make it your own.