A spicy, savory dish full of yummy veggies and pan-fried chicken.
Coconut Curry Bowls
Perfect way to use up lots of veggies alongside some great anti-inflammatory curry!
- 1 medium sized onion, minced
- 4-5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup red curry paste
- 1/4 cup coconut oil + 2 tablespoons (for chicken)
- 2 cans full-fat coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons almond or peanut butter
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes (optional)
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons Thai basil, julienned
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 chicken breasts
- salt and pepper, generous amount
- extra cilantro & Thai basil, for garnish (optional)
- In a saucepan over medium heat, saute onion, garlic, and the curry paste in 1/4 cup coconut oil. Stir until the onions are translucent.
- Add coconut milk and gently simmer, stirring frequently until sauce thickens, roughly 20 minutes.
- While sauce simmers, steam veggies in another pan on medium-high heat. Put veggies in the pan as it is heating up and add water once pan gets hot. Steam for 4-5 minutes, until veggies are cooked but still have a crunch.
- Also while sauce simmers, pound chicken (I use my wooden rolling pin with the chicken wrapped in plastic wrap) and salt and pepper generously.
- Transfer veggies to bowl and put remaining coconut oil in the pan. Once the oil is heated, add chicken breasts and cook on each side roughly 3-4 minutes or until golden brown. Let rest for at least 5 minutes. Chop into cubes, if desired.
- Once sauce has thickened, add almond butter, lime, chili flakes, cilantro, and Thai basil. Simmer for another minute.
- Remove sauce from the heat and add veggies and chicken. Sprinkle with remaining cilantro and Thai basil. Serve with brown rice, quinoa, or on its own. ENJOY!
REMEMBER: Recipes are GUIDELINES! So feel free to modify, taste as you go, and make it your own.