Just because you are following an autoimmune nutrition protocol (AIP), doesn’t mean you need to skimp on flavor when it comes to one of the easiest weeknight meals…tacos! I love this seasoning blend adapted from Meatified. And while some of the ingredients might seem a little out there, you generally can find them at an international grocery store, a specialty spice shop (like Penzey’s Spices), or by ordering them online. Or try the swaps that I have listed below!
Taco Seasoning (AIP friendly)
Keep the spice and the savory that you are used to when it comes to a good taco seasoning...without the nightshades and seeds.
- 1/4 cup dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons dried cilantro leaves (important that you do not use cilantro seeds) or dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground fenugreek leaves (if not able to use, substitute by adding 1 teaspoon of maple syrup to your taco mixture when combined with the protein you are using)**
- 1 teaspoon ground dried lime
- 1 teaspoon ground mace (if not able to use, substitute with 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Mix all ingredients together thoroughly. (If using maple syrup instead of fenugreek leaves, add during the cooking process.)
- Use on AIP friendly animal proteins and ENJOY!
**NOTE: It is important to use maple syrup only occasionally while on AIP.
REMEMBER: Recipes are GUIDELINES! So feel free to modify, taste as you go, and make it your own.