These delicious, low-carb zucchini boats are perfect for dinner any night of the week—especially during zucchini season!
Stuffed Zucchini Boats
An easy summer dinner featuring peak-season zucchini.
- 4 medium zucchini
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for greasing your pan
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup Cremini or button mushrooms, diced
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 8 oz. jar low-sugar marinara sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley or basil leaves, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a large rectangular baking dish with olive oil.
- Slice the zucchini lengthwise, trim ends, and scoop out the centers, leaving about 1/4-inch thickness around the edges. (If you wish, you can freeze the scooped-out zucchini flesh and save it to toss into soups or smoothies.)
- Place zucchini in pan. Brush with a little olive oil (about 1 tablespoon) and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat remaining olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the turkey and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring to break up the meat as it cooks. Sprinkle in Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Add the garlic, onion, bell pepper, and mushrooms, and cook for another 4-5 minutes.
- When the turkey is fully cooked and the veggies have softened, lower the heat, add the marinara sauce, and gently simmer for 5 minutes.
- Spoon the mixture evenly into your zucchini boats, then top with shredded mozzarella and parmesan.
- Cover with foil and bake for 25-35 minutes, or until zucchini is tender and cheese is melted and bubbly. Garnish with parsley or basil and ENJOY!
REMEMBER: Recipes are GUIDELINES! So feel free to modify, taste as you go, and make it your own.