As a dietitian and lifestyle coach, I often get asked, “Andrea, what do you do? How do you do the whole wellness thing?”
It’s hard to come up with a response to this on the spot, so I decided I would write out my list of personal guidelines…a manifesto of sorts. But ooo baby, ‘manifesto’ is a big, loaded word.
Full of intention and focus.
I sat with those types of questions for a while, really marinated with them.
When I finally put my thoughts on paper, I surprised myself with what my gut responses were. The first six or so had NOTHING to do with nutrition. Or health at all for that matter. Simply a manner of living and being. And this reminded and reinforced for me why it is so important to think about my health and wellness holistically. And why I am an integrative practitioner. It will never just be about food to me. Or just exercise. Or just my body. It’s all so much bigger than that. (Read my FAQs for more elaboration on this.)
So here it goes…a dietitian’s manifesto…
This Integrative Dietitian’s Manifesto
- Lean into the ambiguity. Life is all about the unknowns…embrace them.
- Don’t take yourself too seriously. No one else does.
- Get gritty. Don’t be afraid to roll up your sleeves and do the hard work to get what you truly want.
- And while we’re at it…don’t be afraid to define and own what you truly want. You get to live this life, make it yours. At the end of it, no one else needs to answer to you but you.
- Let that shit go. Let go of the bullshit stories you tell yourself about who you are and what you are capable of. Unless they are pushing you to move mountains, let that shit go. They are not serving you. You are powerful beyond measure.
- Look forward, move forward and don’t be afraid to leap. Let go of your fear of failure. This has no benefit to a life that is lived big.
- Nourish your whole person – body, mind, & spirit – with good, wholesome food. Note: This does not require perfect choices all of the time. Even if you are a dietitian. Striving for perfection is exhausting. And useless.
- NEVER feel guilty about a delicious meal shared with the people you love. Good food is a part of the human experience.
“Good food is a part of the human experience.”
- That being said…eat more plants. Make “what fruit or veggie am I going to have at this meal/snack?” your first thought when building your nutrition plan.
- Eat plants + protein + healthy fat + fiber at most meals. (I would say ALL meals, but we already covered the uselessness of perfection above.) This is a recipe for long-term vitality, sustained energy, and happy bowel movements.
- Be conscious of your indulgences. Glass of wine & a decadent meal with friends? Bliss. Three days in a row of mindlessly eating spoonfuls of Talenti to avoid tackling a big project?…Pattern. Recognize the difference.
- Tune in. Really tune into your body. It has a lot to say, a lot to reveal, and a lot of information to empower you with. She’s just waiting for you to shut your gob, silence the noise, and tune in.
- Recognize the difference between quitting and walking away from something that no longer serves you.
“Recognize the difference between quitting and walking away from something that no longer serves you.”
- Remind yourself that comparison is the enemy of happy. Worry about yourself, girl. Do your thing, find your own happy place.
- Move your body. Move it often. And move it in celebration. Because those thighs deserve your praise, dammit.
- Also, dance. Shake your money maker as often and as vigorously as possible. Your soul needs it like your body needs water.
- Speaking of water…drink more of it. You are not too busy to give your body the one ingredient that is essential to literally every one of its functions.
- Take care of your relationships and say “I love you” often. The people in your world bring you so much joy, connection, and support. Give them your best and let them know how much they mean to you.
- Be present, and not for the photo op, but for yourself and the people in your world. Don’t live your life for or through social media.
- Try as hard as you can to match your bra and underwear…INFINITE power.